What I mean by that is, the perfect hummus varies ever so slightly from person to person based on taste and texture preferences. Ya dig?Do you know what the secret to the creamiest hummus ever is?
Peeled chickpeas. Like, where you remove the skins from all the little beans.
I know, it feels like a ton of work and it takes forever but I PROMISE you it’s worth it. Just sit down in front of your favorite show and peel away the skins and 15 minutes will pass before you know it. Or, you’ll be painfully aware of each passing minute and it won’t feel very quick at all but it’s STILL WORTH IT. Promise. Seriously. Peel the dang chickpeas.
Also very important thing: good olive oil. You’ll be drowning the top of your hummus in EVOO, so make sure it’s a good one. Straight from Italy. Fresh off the boat. Pressed by a real Italian. We settle for perfection and authenticity here, folks. No mediocrity allowed.
Okay, last important thing: excellent dippers. You know, your favorite chips, breads, and veggies. The vehicle for this creamy goodness is just as crucial as the creamy goodness itself.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, & skins peeled
- 3 T good tahini
- 2 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling on top
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c – 1/2 c cold water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 t ground coriander, optional
- 1/4 t ground cumin, optional
- In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients until very smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Scoop hummus into a bowl and serve at room temperature, drizzling the top with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper.