Coconut Oreo ice cream. This combination is likely one you’ve never thought of, but after skimming this recipe and seeing how fantastically simple this recipe is, you basically have no choice but to make it.
This recipe is inspired by Little Moir’s Food Shack in Jupiter, Florida, one of the best seafood restaurants in the Jupiter/West Palm Beach area, that has a rotating menu with new items each day from appetizers to entrees to (you guessed it) desserts! We sampled their coconut Oreo ice cream and instantly died and went to heaven.
Our version is practically identical to the ice cream we sampled at Little Moir’s. This homemade coconut Oreo ice cream has the perfect coconut-y flavor (not too much, not too little), generous chunks of Oreo cookies, and the perfect smidgen of sweetened coconut flakes. It’s 100% foolproof and a definite crowd-pleaser.
How To Make Coconut Oreo Ice Cream
To make this ice cream all you’ll need is a large bowl, a whisk, and an ice cream maker. We love this frozen bowl ice cream maker, but no matter your preference, anything that has the capability of making ice cream will do (shoutout to anyone still using their old wood bucket ice cream makers). You’ll simply whisk all of the ingredients together, and then follow your manufacturer’s instructions to make the ice cream. Once your ice cream is nearly complete, you’ll want to add in your Oreos and coconut, and then finally put it in the freezer for a hard freeze (or don’t, and just enjoy it in soft serve form– just as delicious).
Coconut Oreo Ice Cream Ingredients
You only need seven ingredients for this recipe. Don’t skip the xanthan gum– it acts as both a stabilizer and thickening agent for this homemade ice cream, so that you nail that perfect consistency. This recipe calls for:
- heavy cream
- whole milk
- xanthan gum (just 1/4 teaspoon- a little goes a long way!)
- Oreos (we prefer original but feel free to get crazy if you wish)
- sweetened coconut flakes
- coconut extract
Coconut Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
- ice cream maker*
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum**
- 1 1/2-2 cups very coarsely chopped Oreos (about 12-16 Oreos)
- 2/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, sugar, and coconut extract until sugar is dissolved. Add the xanthan gum and whisk again until it is completely dissolved.
- Using milk mixture, make ice cream according to ice cream maker manufacturer's instructions. Once the ice cream has reached a soft-serve state, gently add in the Oreo pieces and coconut flakes. Continue to freeze/churn for a few more minutes. Spread ice cream into a bread pan or container. Optional: add a few oreo crumbs and coconut flakes to the top of your ice cream as a garnish. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and store in your freezer for six hours or until completely firm.