This delicious cottage cheese pancake recipe comes straight from the Cowgirl Creamery cookbook, Cowgirl Creamery Cooks. Cowgirl Creamery is one of our favorite restaurants in San Francisco (check out our Cowgirl Creamery grilled cheese recipe here), and we’re thankful that they’ve given us permission to also share this recipe with the Female Foodie audience.
SEE ALSO: COWGIRL CREAMERY CLASSIC GRILLED CHEESE RECIPE
Have you ever had cottage cheese pancakes before? Although popularized by health fads (#protein) in recent years, the cottage cheese in this recipe isn’t merely for nutrition, but more so for flavor and taste. Especially when you have a high-quality cottage cheese like the Cowgirl Creamery cottage cheese. The curds are rich, creamy, and some of the best you’ll ever have in your life. The pancakes are made by separating the egg yolks and whites. From there you’ll mix your wet ingredients and dry ingredients together separately (minus the whites), the beat the egg whites until they’re stiff, and gently fold into your pancake mixture.
The pancakes themselves are light and delicate. The cottage cheese curds stay intact, so if you prefer a more traditional pancake texture you can either puree your cottage cheese with an immersion blender or use a high-quality ricotta (also very delicious). Topped with strawberries and creme fraiche (also from Cowgirl Creamery), these pancakes are the perfect unfussy way to give your pancake breakfast a facelift!
Cottage Cheese Pancakes: Tips
- Make sure and use butter to grease your griddle or nonstick fry pan. Cooking spray will do the trick, but butter yields much better surface area texture and flavor for your cottage cheese pancakes.
- As with any good pancake recipe, the batter for these cottage cheese pancakes is not to be overmixed or overhandled.
- Don’t have strawberries? You can use blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries for your pancakes.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes With Creme Fraiche and Strawberries
- 1 pt strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- butter for the griddle
- Crème fraîche, for accompaniment
- In a medium pan, toss the berries and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Ina. large bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick. Add the milk and beat for another 30 seconds. Gently fold in the cottage cheese.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and sugar and pour into the cheese mixture, stirring lightly.
- With an electric mixer of whisk, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until they are stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the batter, just until combined.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to the surface and spread with spatula before pouring 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake, leaving space between pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, then flip.
- When done, spoon on the berries and crème fraîche, and serve immediately.
Cowgirl Creamery Cheese Shop
$$$$ Cheese Shops1 Sausalito - San Francisco Ferry Bldg, San Francisco, CA 94105 • 415-362-9354