I woke on Monday morning and did NOT want to get out of bed. We all have this on Mondays, am I right? I was just rolling around in my bed for like 5 minutes thinking “goodness this is going to be a long Monday“. BUT, all of a sudden a flashback of last night’s cake flew through my mind. Oh what a glorious image (as you can see from these pictures).
Well, let’s just say that it didn’t take me too much longer to roll all the way out of bed, through on my robe, and dash up the stairs to that delicious cake. See, in my family you literally must run to the cake or it will be gone. Yes we eat cake for breakfast! You should too, cause it’s a wonderful thing!
So whether you want a good reason to get out of bed on Monday, or you just want to eat the best chocolate cake in the entire world, here it is, because your diet starts next week, right? 😉
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup brewed hot coffee (can be decaf) or hot water
- For Icing:
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 block cream cheese
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar (more or less depending on consistency)
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons yogurt (Plain or Vanilla)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Add vanilla, cocoa, soda, and salt.
- Sift flour and add into batter alternating with sour cream.
- Drizzle in hot coffee or water and stir.
- Pour batter into 2 prepared (sprayed with Pam and lined with parchment) 9 inch round pans.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- For Icing: Cream together the following ingredients (butter, cream cheese, yogurt, cocoa and vanilla).
- Then add in the powdered sugar. Cream until smooth.