Summer gardens are the absolute best. They are always so full of veggies in all hues of vibrant colors that have your mouth watering as soon as you set your eyes on them. I mean we are talking salsa gardens full of peppers and tomatoes and tons and tons of beautiful summer squash. Of all these vegetables tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash are my favorite. This easy baked squash combines all of these wonderful summer veggies into one dish.Aside from this dish being inspired by beautiful summer gardens, it is also inspired by one of my favorite Pixar movies, Ratatouille. In the spirit of the movie theme (anyone can cook) think of this as a less fancy, easier to make version of ratatouille.
Lets talk about the flavors for this easy baked squash. The cheese and squash go hand in hand for me. The savory flavors of the compliment each other and when you bake the squash the dish melts in your mouth. While I do love getting my fancy slicing skills on in the kitchen I also love having food that is quick and easy to prepare. If you’re a mom you know what I mean because those little kids get a mad case of the hangries and no one wants that.
- 2 Lbs Summer Squash (zucchini, yellow, or both)
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 C Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice squash and tomato in 1/4 inch rounds
- Toss squash and tomatoe in olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Arrange tomato and squash in an 8 in by 8 in baking dish or pie plate
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbling