Ever been to Italy? Was it cold outside? If your answer is yes, chances are you may have had a life-changing cup of Italian hot chocolate.
Italian hot chocolate is unlike any other hot chocolate you will have in your life. It’s thick, creamy, and tastes (almost) like you’re drinking pure liquid chocolate. Do we have your attention?
After enjoying several glasses of this delectable hot beverage, we decided it was time to develop our own recipe, so that you can make Italian hot chocolate at home. We studied ingredients on our favorite store-bought brands of Italian hot chocolate and found a common theme (keep reading).
Italian Hot Chocolate Ingredients
Italian hot chocolate is unfussy and simple. The thickness almost always comes from potato flour or potato starch. In the states, you can find potato starch at your local grocer (Bob’s Red Mill is our favorite brand).
- Semisweet chocolate (we recommend a high-quality chocolate for best results)
- Whole Milk
- Potato Starch
- And a little bit of water
How To Make Italian Hot Chocolate
This recipe takes less than five minutes to make. Simply heat the milk over medium-high heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Watch your milk carefully so it doesn’t scorch (aka burn). Once you add the chocolate, whisk continuously. In a separate cup, whisk together a small amount of water and potato starch, until the potato starch is seemingly dissolved into the water. Add to your chocolate mixture and continue to whisk for a few seconds more, then remove from heat. That’s. It.
The potato starch and water mixture will keep your hot chocolate smooth yet the perfect consistency. If you don’t have potato starch, you can 100% still make this hot chocolate recipe! Just don’t expect a classic, thick, almost pudding-like consistency.
Lastly, it’s ideal to serve this hot chocolate in a small teacup. This recipe is good for 3-4 people, so using a classic hot cocoa or coffee mug may make your hot chocolate serving seem small (trust us when we say that a little goes a long way!). But by all means, if you only have mugs that will work great, or if you want a large, indulgent cup of hot chocolate, don’t let us stop you.
Italian Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup (6 oz.) high-quality semisweet chocolate*
- 1 teaspoon potato starch**
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the milk to a soft boil over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally. Add the chocolate, lower the heat to medium, and whisk continuously until the chocolate has completely melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of water and the potato starch until smooth, and the potato starch has dissolved into the water. Pour the potato starch mixture into the saucepan and cook for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, divide evenly between 3-4 small teacups, and serve immediately.