One of our favorite bakeries in Salt Lake City is the Beaumont Bakery. They make fantastic pastries and baked goods including french tarts, cruffins (croissant muffins), kouign-amanns, and a delectable variety of cookies– the peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip is our fav.
But baked goods aside, this bakery also serves delicious menu items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And one of our go-to dishes on the all-day breakfast menu is their avocado toast. This avocado toast is a step above your average avocado toast, made with sliced avocado, roasted corn, cotija cheese, fresno chiles, microgreens, and aioli on superseed bread. It’s a meal on its own and we knew that we had to recreate this Mexican-themed avocado toast with poached egg at home.
So, inspired by the Beaumont Bakery, we know you’ll love this dressed up avocado toast with poached egg. At the restaurant you can order your toast with poached eggs (which we never pass on), so we felt it necessary to include them in this rendition, but you can obviously leave them out.
How To Make Avocado Toast with Poached Egg
Prep all of your toppings first, including slicing the avocado, heating up your roasted corn (we love getting ours from the freezer section at Trader Joe’s), toasting your bread, and poaching the eggs. It all comes together very quickly and this recipe can easily be doubled/tripled/younameit depending on how many you’re feeding. Enjoy!
Mexican Avocado Toast with Poached Egg
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 small lemon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup roasted corn*
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese**
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- 1 fresno chile
- 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices of thick sourdough or superseed bread
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Make the aioli: combine mayo, zest of small lemon, and 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper (a couple cranks of fresh cracked pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt or kosher salt will do) and set aside.
- Prepare the rest of the avocado toast toppings. Half and thinly slice avocado and set aside. Warm corn in microwave or over stove in a nonstick pan until warm. Lightly salt the corn, remove from heat, and set aside. With a spoon or knife, carefully break up some of the cotija cheese until crumbly and set aside. Rinse and pat microgreens dry with paper towel or clean towel and set aside. Rinse and thinly slice fresno chile and set aside. Cut lime into thick wedges and set aside.
- Poach your eggs. Bring a small or medium pot of water half full, to a gentle simmer. Add white vinegar. Set a fine mesh sieve or strainer on top of a similar sized bowl. Crack egg carefully over the sieve/strainer and let the loose/excess egg whites gently fall into the bowl beneath. Gently pour the egg into the simmering pot. Repeat with the second egg and cook for 2-3 minutes for a perfectly poached egg. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from pot when done cooking and set aside until ready for use.
- Toast the bread. Spread with a pat of the lemon aioli and assemble your avocado toast in layers as follows: sliced avocado, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, roasted corn, cotija cheese, poached eggs (one per slice of toast), microgreens, and fresno chiles (use anywhere from 2-6 chiles per slice of toast). Serve with lime wedges on the side and enjoy immediately.