If you’ve seen any of our Portland archives (including our guide to the 40 best restaurants in PDX), then it’s no secret that we’re head over heels obsessed with Pizza Jerk. This Connecticut style pizzeria makes insanely delicious pizza, and everything from the crust to the sauce to the cheese and toppings is always a home run. But one of the unsung heroes at Pizza Jerk is the dessert. Yes! Dessert.
Allow us to introduce you to the Butterscotch Browned Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispy Treat. Although this dessert is simple and nostalgic, it’s so darn delicious that memories of preserved and pre-packaged Rice Krispy Treats are very much a thing of the past. The browned butter brings out a nuttiness and almost caramel-like flavor that regular melted butter cannot. The subtle handful of butterscotch chips gives it flair and familiarity, and the Jacobsen salt is the cherry on the top. The original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt mixed in with the Rice Krispy treats, but we recommend adding additional sea salt to the top of your completed pan if you’re as excited about salt as we are.
Living in PDX or headed to Portland soon? Please stop by and support our friends at Pizza Jerk! They’re currently open at both their Northeast and Southeast locations for delivery and takeout. Favorite pies include the classic cheese pizza, pepperoni, and the rotating weekly specials! Big thanks to Chef Tommy Habetz for sharing his killer recipe.
Pizza Jerk Butterscotch Browned Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispy Treat Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 12 cups mini marshmallows (20 oz.)
- 10 cups rice krispy cereal (12 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon Jacobsen salt*
- 1/2 heaping cup butterscotch chips
- Warm large sauce pan to medium heat and add butter to brown. Butter will foam and sizzle as brown specks appear on the bottom of the pan. When the aroma of the pan is nutty and the bottom of the pan is a toasty-brown color, add marrshmallows and turn off heat. Stir together until smooth.
- In a separate large mixing bowl (or extra large if you have it) combine cereal, salt, and butterscotch chips. Pour warm butter and marshmallow mixture into cereal bowl and mix together with spatula.
- Create a non-stick surface with a light coating of butter or with nonstick spray in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Press cereal and marshmallow mixture into dish with spatula until the top is a smooth, even layer. Top with additional Jacobsen salt. Cool completely before cutting into 12 squares. Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @femalefoodie so we can see what you're cooking!