Today we turn these classic American cookies up a notch with some caramelly browned butter and a little sea salt. Nothing new, but something totally and completely, mind-blowingly delicious. Plus – it makes for some seriously great cookie dough, too. My husband is a cookie dough monster and I completely forgot to save him some dough from this batch of cookies (#badwife) and he was seriously scouring every nook and cranny of the kitchen for just a little bit of remaining cookie dough somewhere! He cracks me up.
A good rule of thumb is to never bake with a chocolate you wouldn’t wanna eat plain. I mean, except for the unsweetened stuff. That would be terrible. But I think you know what I mean. Happy baking!!
- 1 c unsalted butter
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 T turbinado sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 t vanilla
- 3/4 t fine sea salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour, spoon & leveled
- 6 oz high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add in the 1 cup of butter and melt. As it melts, the butter will start making crackling noises. As the crackling slows, brown specks will start to form on the bottom of the pan. When you see those brown specs, take the pan off the heat. Transfer the butter to a heatproof dish and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Transfer the brown butter to a large bowl fitted for a stand mixer with a cookie paddle attachment. Beat in the eggs & egg yolk, one at a time, and mix for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the sugars and vanilla, and beat for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until everything is well-incorporated – don’t overmix!
- Fold in the chocolate last, mixing until just combined.
- Scoop cookie dough out with a cookie scoop, or roll into balls by hand, and place onto a baking sheet lined with a nonstick mat or parchment paper. Space the balls about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until very light golden brown in color and still soft in the center. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!