Meet your new favorite treat: homemade slice and bake cookies.
Yes. Exactly like the log of Pillsbury dough you used to get at the store, except homemade and one million times more delicious.
How To Make Slice and Bake Cookies
- Mix the dough. Using a stand mixer combine your wet ingredients until smooth and incorporated. Add all of your dry ingredients at once and mix until the flour is just combined. Your dough is going to be crumbly at this point!
- Form your dough logs. Tear off a sheet of plastic wrap, pour half of the dough on it, and use your hands to form a cylinder-shaped dough log. Repeat the process until you have two logs.
- Chill the dough. Let them sit in your fridge for a minimum of one hour (two is even better).
- Prep the dough and slice your cookies. Make a simple egg wash, brush it on the outside of your dough logs, press sprinkles into the egg-washed surface, and slice! You’ll get about 12 slices out of each log, making roughly 24 cookies in total.
- Bake the cookies. Place the slices of dough on parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake until barely golden brown (your kitchen will smell amazing at this point). Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before devouring.
Slice and Bake Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4-5 ounces sprinkles**
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add one egg and almond extract and combine until smooth, scraping the bottom of the bowl if needed. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until flour is just combined. Mixture may be on the crumbly side.
- Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and dump 1/2 of the cookie dough onto it. Using your hands, form the dough into a log-shaped cylinder of dough (about 2-2/14 inches in diameter), and wrap tightly with the plastic wrap. Repeat again on a second piece of plastic wrap with remaining dough. Chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- After dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge. Beat the remaining egg and using a pastry brush, brush it on the outside surface of both of the dough logs. Pour the sprinkles onto the logs, pressing them into the surface as you go, until the outside surfaces of the dough logs are completely covered in sprinkles.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the dough into 1/2-inch thick rounds (each log should yield about 12 slices). Place the sliced cookie dough on parchment paper, at least 1 inch apart, and bake for 10-13 minutes, until slightly golden brown on the top, and the dough no longer looks wet or shiny in the middle. Allow to cool slightly before serving.