smoke.oil.salt. is a little bit of Spanish heaven hidden amongst the miles of trendy eateries and stores on Melrose Ave. You can’t see it easily, but look for the tattoo shop that runs right through the middle of smoke.oil.salt. Valet parking is available, so don’t be discouraged just because it is in a bustling part of West Hollywood.
Service is impeccable. Everyone is knowledgable on the dishes and very nice. The managing partner Stephen Gelber himself can be seen running around addressing customers. He really cares for authenticity, the quality of product to outweigh the price, and customer loyalty. He is also the Wine Director that hand-picks all the Spanish wines.
- pez de cola amarilla = citrus pimentón-cured yellowtail, lemon-soy emulsion, shaved idiazabal cheese, puff rice
- gambas al ajillo = roasted shrimp, tomato & pimentón broth, garlic chips, scallions
- churrasco = woodfire-grilled sirloin cap, jato and picaeta sauce
- pulpo con tomate = red wine braised octopus, caramelized onion, gruff beans, dijon vinaigrette, sliced chorizo, tomato chutney
POCO Wine Bar
POCO means “little” in Spanish. The restaurant just started this year as a way to gain even more customer loyalty from locals. POCO Wine Bar is a quick, tapas-style version of smoke.oil.salt. The owner meant for this to be a place that is reasonably priced with he same high quality as smoke.oil.salt. That way locals don’t have to break the bank and can have a place to relax for a reasonable price.
Every week Sunday-Thursday POCO Wine Bar takes over the western half of smoke.oil.salt. starting at 5:30 p.m. until close. Both have pretty different menus, so it’s worth it to hit up both separately.
- papas bravas = crispy fried potatoes, herb aioli, brava sauce, chopped parsley, fried egg
- beef brochetas = marinated, grilled beef skewers, red onion, chipotle aioli, scallions
- scallop brochetas = marinated, grilled scallop skewers and red bell peppers, marcona, almond salsa
- pan a la parilla = grilled homemade flatbread, spicy tomato sauce, house-made cheese, basil, olive oil