Tacos are a huge part of LA foodie life. Being by the ocean and so close to Mexico, we have interpreted a lot of Mexican cuisine in our comfort foods. Add a celebrity name to it and you get Trejo’s Tacos. I was skeptical of this place, at first, because of our saturation of taco joints that are either not good or not authentic. However, Trejo’s Tacos surprised me. Trejo’s is definitely more of a modern, Los Angeles taco joint, but it still provides comfort of Mexican favorites.
The location is tiny with a few tables inside and community tables outside. There is valet parking in the small lot connected, but it fills up quick. The style is fast casual – you wait in line to order, take a number, and find a place to sit. I definitely advise against bringing a huge group here – four max I’d say. They are open every day 11am-9pm, so it is pretty convenient.
The tacos are unconventional, but so delicious. I love the modern twist, and the flavors in every taco come together so nicely. On top of that, the quesadillas are just as good and I absolutely love the cold brew horchata. The cold brew brings down the overbearing sweetness of horchata, and vice versa. We tried a whole bunch of stuff and I have nothing bad to say about any of it. Definitely ask for their cream (it’s like their own rendition of a sour cream) on the side. 🙂
Trejo’s Tacos Favorites
- Blackened Salmon = white corn, cherry tomato, slaw, orange cream, cilantro
- Pulled Beef Brisket = tortilla strips, pico de gallo, cotija cheese
- Steak Asada = toasted pepita pesto, slaw
- Carnitas with Grilled Pineapple = slow roasted pork, red onion, cilantro, charred pineapple, fermented red chile sauce
- Fried Chicken* = served on a lettuce cup, slaw, chipotle cream, pico de gallo
- Black Pepper Tofu* = caramelized shallots, serrano chilies, scallions, pickled onions, cilantro
- Rainbow Cauliflower = corn, cashew cream, pickled onion, micro cilantro
- Grilled Chicken Quesadilla = whole wheat tortilla, mexican cheese blend
- Iced Cochata* = cold brew coffee, horchata
- Coolhaus Ice Cream Sandwiches = I have had these for years and am so happy to see them at various restaurants all over LA. Try any of them!
*my personal favorites
If you aren’t looking for the traditional, greasy Mexican cuisine, Trejo’s Tacos is an excellent fusion option!