A classic French crepe is one of our favorite, simple desserts. If you’ve ever been to France, or anywhere that knows how to make a great crepe, then you know just how addicting they can be! Our favorite spot for crepes in Paris is the Breizh Cafe (see our guide to the 10 best Paris restaurants and the 13 best desserts in Paris), but this French dessert can be found on seemingly every corner.
Our friends from Crepe Pro have shared their delicious, simple classic French crepes recipe, so that you can bring delicious crepes to your very own home. The Crepe Pro is key to making fantastic crepes.
This steel crepe pan comes in two sizes and is the perfect tool to cook crepes with ease from the comfort of your home.
The Crepe Pro sits comfortably on top of your stove (gas or electric both work fine), and after heating for a few minutes is the perfect work station for beautiful French crepes.
If you haven’t invested in a Crepe Pro yet, now is the time! Our friends at Crepe Pro have offered a 10% discount to all Female Foodie readers with the code “FOODIE” when you checkout at Crepe Pro’s website. It’s the perfect Mother’s Day gift, birthday gift, or a little something to treat yourself with. Onto the recipe!
Classic French Crepes Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled slightly
- Blend the milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt together (in that order) for 45 seconds to one minute until you get a creamy, well-blended batter with no clumps. The order that you add the ingredients into the blender can have a big impact on the crepe batter consistency after blending.
- If your blender permits, start blender at a low speed, slowly pull off the lid, and slowly flour and then butter while blender is running. This helps prevent flour from clumping. Once blended, check for excess flour on sides of blender, scrape down and blend once more until all ingredients seem incorporated.
- Store batter in fridge and let cool for 20-30 minutes before cooking.*
- Heat Crepe Pro to medium or medium-low for 5-10 minutes before cooking. This ensures evenly cooked crepes. Have your T-handle and spatula (included in CrepePro kit) ready, as well as a wet paper towel to wipe off excess batter from batter spreader after each crepe.** Your Crepe Pro is at the right temperature to cook crepes if you hear a light sizzle when you first pour batter onto the pan.
- Spray pan once at start of cooking. Pour about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of batter into the middle of the crepe pan and spin crepe immediately with T-handle/batter spreader. Let crepes cook for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until bubbles can be seen all around edges of crepe and some in middle. Use spatula to flip crepe, cook for about 30 seconds more on other side.
- Remove from heat and top with sweet or savory toppings- the sky is the limit! We love ham, cheese, eggs, and mushrooms for savory toppings, and favorite sweet toppings include nutella and fresh berries, butter with cinnamon sugar, or butter with powdered sugar and lemon. Eat immediately.