There are classic buttermilk pancakes, blueberry pancakes, and even funfetti pancakes, but have you ever had lemon pancakes?
Don’t snooze on this unique pancake flavor, these lemon pancakes are seriously to-die-for. Made with the perfect amount of lemon and served with warm, homemade buttermilk syrup, we’d be willing to place a bet that these will be your new favorite pancakes.
This recipe is inspired by Lazy Day Cafe a small, family-owned establishment in Salt Lake City that serves delicious comfort food. They’re open for breakfast and brunch, and their signature must-order menu item is undeniably the dreamy lemon pancakes served with buttermilk syrup. They’re fluffy and buttery, and some of the best pancakes you will have in your entire life.
This lemon pancake recipe is our homemade take on the Lazy Day favorite, and it’s the perfect way to enhance classic buttermilk pancakes. The pancakes are easy to make and call for pantry staples plus some fresh lemons. Don’t sleep on the from-scratch buttermilk syrup– it comes together in less than 5 minutes and is the perfect accompaniment to your lemon pancakes (skip the store-bought pancake syrup). Make sure and enjoy both your pancakes and homemade syrup hot!
How To Make Lemon Pancakes
1- Make the batter. In a large bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients, including the butter, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients including the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt all at once, and mix together just until incorporated– don’t overmix!
2– Cook the pancakes. On a buttered griddle or nonstick pan (heated to 350°F or medium-high heat), pour the batter in 1/3 cup quantities, flipping the pancakes once the bottom surface is golden brown and a few holes have formed on the top. You’ll know the pancakes are done once they’re golden brown on both the top and bottom after flipping.
3- Make the homemade buttermilk syrup. Heat the butter, sugar, and buttermilk over medium-high heat, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil, whisking regularly. After the mixture has cooked at a gentle boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and whisk in the baking soda and vanilla. Serve with hot pancakes and devour immediately.
Lemon Pancakes & Buttermilk Syrup
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter, plus more for cooking
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 large lemons, zest and juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat griddle to 350°F, or a nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Whisk together the butter, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, lemon juice, and zest in a large bowl. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt all at once, and mix together until just incorporated- do not overmix.
- Butter the griddle/pan once hot. Drop batter onto the griddle/pan in ⅓ cup quantities, using the back of the measuring cup to slightly spread out the thick batter, until the pancake batter is about 6 inches in diameter. Cook until some holes have formed on top of the uncooked side and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on both the top and bottom.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the butter, sugar, and buttermilk over medium-high heat, whisking as the mixture comes to a soft boil. Cook for one minute, still whisking regularly, and remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla and baking soda. Serve with hot pancakes.