There are few things so satisfying as fresh, flavorful, chunky guacamole. Inspired by one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in Salt Lake City, Alamexo, this homemade guacamole recipe will make you weak in the knees.
This perfect homemade guacamole only calls for a few ingredients: white onion, jalapeno, salt, avocados, tomato, and cilantro. We like to make ours with a molcajete (here’s one similar to the one we use), but if you don’t have a molcajete a glass or stainless steel bowl and a wooden spoon will do the trick.
This perfect homemade guacamole recipe makes enough guac for two people to share, but can easily be doubled or tripled for larger groups. Don’t make this too far in advance though — guacamole should always be prepared just before eating. The good news: it takes less than 5 minutes, and it’s so simple even your 10 year old niece can make it. Happy cooking!
Perfect Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 - 1 1/2 large avocado
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Using a molcajete* (mortar and pestle), mash the jalapeno, onion, and salt together until juices are released from vegetables and onion is soft.
- Set pestle aside. Add avocado to mortar and use the side of a metal spoon to break up the avocado. You don't want your guacamole completely mashed and smooth, there should still be some chunks but make to your preference.
- Fold in tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with chips or Mexican entree and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @femalefoodie so we can see what you're cooking!
Alamexo Mexican Kitchen